Wednesday, June 15, 2005

 

Q&A time with Super Teddy Sheringham

Does football still give you the buzz it did when you were at your peak for England?
Yes. I still love it. I couldn’t think of a better way to have spent my life. Every time I step onto the pitch I still get that same buzz and I know that I’m very lucky to have experienced it.

What did it feel like to put on a West Ham shirt and score your first goal against Reading in front of a packed Upton Park?
It was brilliant. I used to support West Ham as a kid and I remember standing on the north bank with my brother, so obviously to score my first goal at Upton Park was fantastic.

What do you think it is that has enabled you to continue to play at the highest level for so long?
I think that a big part of it is that I’ve been very fortunate with injuries. Obviously that has had a massive bearing on the longevity of my career and also I’ve never lost the enthusiasm to play. I’m just as hungry to play now as I was when I was first breaking through.

Do you have aspirations to go into management when you finally decide to call time on your playing career?
I think I would like to one day, but at the moment I’m having such a good time playing that I don’t really want to think about it.

Have you got any favourite songs that the West Ham fans sing?
Of course, it’s got to be ‘Oh Teddy Teddy’.

Do you have any pre-match rituals or superstitions?
Yes, I always wash my face three times before I leave the dressing room to go out onto the pitch.

What is your favourite car that you have had and why?
I think that for pure class and fun it would have to be the Ferrari 355 Spider, because it was convertible, fast and flashy, so it had a bit of everything really.

Do you play any other sports and if so do you excel at any of them?
I like to play a bit of golf but I wouldn’t say I excel at it. I have my moments. I play off of eight but it can sometimes be better and can be a lot worse as well.


Excerpt from Hammers News July 2005



<< Blog main page