Wednesday, July 27, 2005

 

Pardew aims high!

Alan Pardew has told reporters that he has set the standards high for the new season, although he hasn't specified how high exactly.

"Some people have claimed that our aspirations are too high," he told the Club's official website. "Well, I don't think they can ever be too high and we're focused on bringing in the best squad of players that we can and achieving the best possible finish for the Club. The players and staff would not respond to me in the right way if I wasn't setting my sights as high as possible and wanting to get the very best for West Ham United."

Pardew has revealed that his aim is to get the squad together before the start of the season, rather than save funds for the January transfer window. He says, "It's very dangerous to try and hold back and plan for what's going to happen in January. You have to hold complete faith in the work you are doing now. If not then you have wasted half a season and the first half could be the most important half from our point of view. I want to have the best squad that I possibly can in place by the start of the season. Like everyone at the Club, I'm extremely excited about the new season and am determined to do West Ham United proud in the Premier League."

He is also pleased about the pre-season so far. "I felt the games we've had so far have been just at the right standard for us and we've performed well in all those games. More importantly we've come through with no injury problems and spirits in the squad are very high at the moment."

On the subject of Petr Mikolanda's possible signature, Pardew has dismissed reports that the deal is as good as done. "We haven’t made a decision on the trialists yet," he said. "I can’t comment until I have spoken to the players concerned."



<< Blog main page