Monday, August 07, 2006


PAOK 2-1 West Ham United

Dean Ashton's goal against PAOK was not enough against a fellow UEFA Cup contender after the Hammers went down 2-1 last night. Pardew played another strange formation, this time a 4-5-1 with Matty Etherington at left-back and Zamora and Ashton both in midfield!

C+P from the official site:

One of the most encouraging things to come out of the evening was the sight of Roy Carroll back between the sticks for the first time since he got injured back in January

The rest of the team consisted of: Tyrone Mears, James Tomkin, James Collins and Matty Etherington making up the back four, Carlton Cole was up front on his own which left a five-man midfield of Bobby Zamora, Dean Ashton, Hayden Mullins, Kyle Reid and Hogan Ephraim.

The game once again started slowly in 30 degree heat and it was PAOK who had the first chance in the 11th minute when Reid's clearance only made it as far as Zegarra who attempted a chip from 30 yards out but it was easily caught by Carroll.

A minute later PAOK took the lead when Yiasemakis rounded Carroll as he went to ground but only managed to hit the post but Rebosio was ready and waiting to side-foot the ball into the open goal.

Five minutes later and the home team had a chance to double their lead when Gonzalez floated the ball in towards goal from the right but it just went wide of the far post.

Two minutes later and PAOK were on the attack again when Yiasemakis cut the ball back for Salpingidis who's powerful volley from 25 yards just went wide.

On 26 minutes, West Ham equalised with a well worked goal. Hogan made a good run down the right and his cross into the box was met by Cole who headed it down for Ashton to slot the ball home from 12 yards.

As the first-half drew to a close, Konstantinidis had an adventurous shot on the volley from 35yards out but Carroll pushed it out to prevent the Greek side taking the lead.

Half-time: PAOK 1-1 West Ham United

There were no changes for the second-half but the Hammers did switch to a 4-4-2 formation with Zamora joining Cole up front and Ashton staying back in the centre of midfield.

Four minutes after the break, PAOK took the lead in impressive fashion when the ball dropped to Zegarra in the box and he scissor-kicked it into the top left corner leaving Carroll with no chance of saving it.

Two minutes later and West Ham had a good chance to equalise when Cole cut the ball back for Mullins who put Zamora through to stike it first time but the 'keeper did well to block the shot.

On 55 minutes, Harewood came on for Zamora.

Nine minutes later the Hammers were on the attack again when Cole made a mazy run into the box and cut it back for Ephraim but Rebosio blocked the ball well to send it out for a corner.

On 73 minutes it was the visitors again, this time Marlon made a run into the box and cut the ball back for Ashton who shot from 18 yards out but the 'keeper made a good low save on the line.

A minute later, Teddy came on for Cole and joined Marlon up front.

PAOK had a good chance to extend their lead in injury time when Iliadis had a shot from point blank range after beating the 'keeper but Tomkins was on hand to head the ball away off the line.

Full-time: PAOK 2-1 West Ham United

<< Blog main page