Friday, July 29, 2005

 

Super Shaka is back - Confirmed Skysports C&P

Shaka Hislop has rejoined West Ham after leaving Portsmouth on a free transfer, just three years after departing Upton Park.
The Trinidad & Tobago veteran had been searching for a new club after being released by Pompey, and Hammers boss Alan Pardew has now afforded him the chance to reignite his Premiership career.
The 36-year-old has been an almost constant presence in the top flight ever since his move to Newcastle ten years ago, and had been on trial with Championship side Crystal Palace in a bid to prolong his playing days.
Hislop will now look to put pressure on fellow new recruit Roy Carroll and admitted to being delighted at his return to London after securing a one-year deal.
"It is great to be going back to West Ham," Hislop told stellargroup.co.uk.
"I had four great years there, really happy times.
"We had a successful team too, we finished in the top half of the table three seasons out of four and played some great football.
"It was a strange situation last season, I felt as though I was playing as well as I had done for a while, but sometimes when a new manager comes in he has different ideas and it was pretty clear I wouldn't be staying at the club beyond the end of the season.
"Now I am just looking forward to getting the boots back on again and competing for a place in the side.
"There are some good goalkeepers here and I will have to be on my toes, but I am confident in my ability and I know I am still good enough to be a very consistent goalkeeper in The Premiership." Palace had already withdrawn their interest in the experienced shot-stopper after failing to offload current second choice Julian Speroni, and chairman Simon Jordan previously indicated that Hislop was close to sealing a move.
"I think Shaka will sign for someone else - I do not believe we are doing a deal with him," Jordan told Sky Sports News.
"We have two goalkeepers and the idea was for one of them to depart before we signed another one.
"That situation has not manifested and, although I don't know whom Shaka will sign for, he is no longer playing for us."



<< Blog main page