Monday, December 05, 2005

 

Buy, not sell

Alan Pardew has adopted a strategy of investment for the immediate future of West Ham.

"I am sure other clubs will be interested in Anton Ferdinand. I am sure they will be interested in Danny Gabbidon and Paul Konchesky and a few others," said Pardew in a recent interview. "I think I will get some calls with big bids but they will get a simple answer - I will knock them back. It would be ridiculous to sell. That is why I signed my new contract, because I had assurances from the board that I could do that. I would consider a bid I feel I could enhance the club with - but I can't see that happening. Hayden Mullins has perhaps been our best player this season with Paul, Danny, Anton and Nigel Reo-Coker. That little pool has been fantastic for us."

Pardew wants to concentrate on finding inbound players for the January transfer window. "The only reason I have trepidation about the window is if we don't secure anybody, especially after losing out on our man from Porto [Benni McCarthy] on the last day. That is one fear I have - but we have been attacking it vigorously for a number of weeks now and we will continue to do that right up until it shuts."

Rumours say that Pardew is also lining up a £5 million bid for Crystal Palace's Andy Johnson, with the aim of securing a projected £25,000+ a week deal for the striker. There are also reports that he plans to renew negotiations with Porto for Benni McCarthy.

* West Ham are lined up against Norwich at Carrow Road for the third round of the FA Cup, to be played on 7th January. Coincidentally, the two sides met at Upton Park last season in the FA Cup third round, in which a Marlon Harewood goal was enough to ensure the Irons went to the fourth round.




<< Blog main page